A story that dates back to the Middle Ages
Origins: 1366 the first recorded mention
The old writings referred to the “dark Glemmtal”, and valleys like ours have been covered with dense virgin forest for thousands of years. The first farm in the Glemmtal was referred to in the abbey writings of St. Peter, Salzburg as the “Krummfeichten” estate in 1222 – today’s Eibinghof. The first owner was Graf Konrad, a member of St. Peter’s Abbey, which was a major factor in the settlement of the Innergebirg – the Pongau, Pinzgau and Lungau regions. During this period, the peasants were only permitted to work on the estates and would hand over “tithes”. The farm was divided in four following the plague in 1350 and
1366 into 3 fiefdoms: Eibing, Lederer, Seigen
For accounting reasons, the names were given in accordance with the family names of the tenant farmers. The following centuries were characterised by a meagre mountain farming life. An increasing number of farms were being built in the mountain valleys, and areas were deforested to make way for pastures. 1596: this date was carved into the ridge of the roof pointing towards Saalbach, which marked a fire and the reconstruction of the building. The years 1950 and 2002 are also carved into the building to mark major conversions.
- 1893: My great-grandfather, Stefan Niederseer from Fieberbrunn in the Tyrol, purchases the Seighof
- 1922: The first light bulb lights, supplied by the energy company in Eibing
- 1939: Four farmers club together to buy a 4 hp stationary engine
- 1950: Replacement of the rotting roof structure and construction of an additional storey to create 4 "guest" rooms; a single wheel mower is acquired
- 1959: An additional storey; connection to mains water; central heating
- 1961: Purchase of the first car, an Opel Caravan
- 1962: A second building is constructed with a “wood hut”, garages and a room for the dairy maid
- 1964: Purchase of a tractor, a Lindner BF 45a
- 1967: Building of a new stable
- 1971: Extension of second building with rooms for rent
- 1976: Major renovation: replacement of wooden walls and ceilings
- 1981: Kitchen is rebuilt; purchase of two mountain farming tractors
- 1981-90: Gradual installation of toilet facilities in the rooms
- 1991: Overhaul of the fire protection system after the business changed hands
- 1992/93: General renovation of the Seigalm alpine hut; foundation walls and multi-bed rooms
- 1995: Terrace extension;room enlargement 1st floor; building of garage
- 1997/98: Major extension of the second building for our sauna facility and apartments on the top floor
- 1998: Room refurbishment on the 3rd floor
- 1999: The in-house chapel is placed under monument protection and completely renovated
- 2000: Balconies on the eastern side of the building
- 2001: Room extension on the 1st floor
- 2002: Renovation of the feeding table and the housings in the stable building
Autumn 2002: the most extensive renovations carried out to date at the Seighof
Almost total reinstallation of the electrical, water and heating systems; complete removal and reconstruction of the rooms on the 2nd and 3rd floor, mostly with separate WC and showers; refurbishment of the foundations in the inner house area, new toilet facilities on the ground floor; new installation of the heating distribution; creation of a reception area and relocation of the tap, beverage cooling and music systems; full insulation of the building walls with a renovation of the façade; construction of the balconies.
Ständige Risse und Hebungen zwangen zum Neuaufbau des Fundamentes im Bereich der Reception/Speiseraum
- 2003: Überholung der Zimmer im Saunatrakt mit kompletter Neueinrichtung
- 2003: Defects arising from the quick execution of the building work in 2002 were remedied
- 2004: Renovation of the entire water supply system: 3 springs were newly tapped, the high-level tank was overhauled
- 2005: Severe storms forced us to “contain” a brook, which had flooded our meadows many times in the past, and we re-laid the drives to the stable building
- 2007: We used parts of the material from the excavation for the Hinterglemm parking garage to level out the steep slope below the building so that it could be worked on with machines. The 200-year-old hay barn is relocated in its entirety to a site 200m away.
- 2008: Farewell to heating oil - the sharp rise in the price of oil price reinforced our decision: the long-standing wish to convert to a CO2-neutral heating system was examined, and we now burn wood chips from our own woods on the Reiterkogel and the Bärnkogel. We also installed a solar system for heating water and carried out extensive insulation measures on the roofs, and, to top it all off, a heat recovery system that uses the heat from the flue gas.
- 2009/2010: We and two neighbouring farms constructed a new path to the Reiterkogel, renovating existing paths. This enabled all three of us to work more easily on the pastures, huts and wooded areas which had previously been almost worthless without an access route. The brook which had worked on in 2005, was still giving us trouble, and we tried to overcome this problem by building wooden embankment walls.
2011: Additional sections of the forest path were completed, and all three farms, pastures, huts and wooded areas are now easily accessible.
If you rest, you rust. We embarked on a new project in 2013 to fulfil a long-term wish:
the Seighochalm hut was re-established after 100 years as a Sleeping Beauty!
Spring 2013: the 400-year-old Rehrenberg stable in Viehhofen was removed, the old wood was cleaned, the nails were removed, it was dried, cut and stacked up. We then used a mobile sawmill to cut the wood into workable beams, boards and trim parts.
Mid-June and the groundbreaking ceremony: the shell of the building was erected. By Autumn, also with our own tremendous efforts, we had finished the hut so it could be sealed and heated for the winter.
Summer 2014: The interior of the residential part was being finished. Our “palace” was ready at the end of November, despite the onset of winter and various problems, 100 years after a photo of the old hut was taken.
Summer 2015: The last point on the agenda was the stable. There was still work to be done for the hay store and the housing and last, but not least, we made some minor changes to the residential part of the hut. But that’s enough for now!